List of countries by maternal mortality ratio
Maternal death, also called maternal mortality, is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as "the death of a woman while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, irrespective of the duration and site of the pregnancy, from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management but not from accidental or incidental causes." The maternal mortality ratio, on the other hand, is the number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births. The maternal mortality ratio is used as a criterion for the quality of medical care in a country. The global rate is 211 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births.
data sources are in citations.
- "Maternal mortality ratio". Our World in Data. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "Maternal mortality ratio (modeled estimate, per 100,000 live births) | Data". Retrieved 2018-06-27. Scroll down for country list.
- https://www.who.int/gho/maternal_health/countries/usa.pdf?ua=1[bare URL]
- "Maternal health". www.unicef.org. Retrieved 2021-05-24.
- "Maternal mortality decreased to 186 deaths per 100,000 live births". UNFPA Pakistan. 2020-08-21. Retrieved 2021-05-24.